Monday, April 30, 2012

Has procrastination reached an all time high?

With technology being what it is these days, it seems as if technology has gone to no ends and bounds to entertain us every second of our lives.   Even when we sleep we can have our iPods playing our favorite music, movies or having us learn a new language.  While I sit here typing out this blog and thinking of what I can do to make it long enough to suffice, I have paused to play a round of Temple Run on my iPhone (new high score!).  Have procrastination levels reached an all time high, or does it seem to stick out more with our technology? 

We have spoken in class about movements to get children to "go out and play" on a regular basis.  It is evident that our technology is restricting not only children from going outside to play, but also from students getting their work done.  Taking it from a personal experience, one of the biggest things I struggle with when trying to do work is staying focused on one task at a time.  There are so many potential distractions just a click of the mouse or punching the remote of the TV away from throwing you off course for hours.  I know that I love playing games on my cell phone and I find myself preferring to do that than staying focus at times to get work done. 

While technology can be a distraction from homework, it also ultimately leads to procrastination in terms of getting work done.  People will argue how much of a lifesaver technology is in terms of getting school work done, but I will argue that other facets of technology are just as costly to schoolwork being completed.  The best thing to do when you have the urge to run from the evils in a temple is to put your phone as far away as possible and stay focused on the course.  The solution is harder than it appears, as we cannot live without technology and at times, can't get work done efficiently with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment